Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spellbinder Die Compatibility Sandwiches Updated

The new Magnetic Placement Mat will work in the Cuttlebug, but you will need an additional white spacer plate to accomodate for the added thickness.

The Magnetic Placement Mat is an ultra-thin layer, much thinner than the xyron magnetic pads I made to store my Spellbinders dies in. See this post for my storage examples. It is important to me that I always research any idea that hits my brain and so I did try those mats in my Wizard and found that they did indeed hold the dies in place. But after several uses the die shapes were "embedded" in the magnetic pad I had made. I don't know what the outcome of this will be after repeated use, but I wanted to let you know that initially this does work. Unfortunately the depth of my magnetic "creation" is too deep to use in other machines without creating significant snapping and popping. In comparison the Spellbinders Magnetic Placement Mat retains its original shape much better than my homemade version.



One thing I did notice is that the Magnetic Placement Mat is larger in size than the White Spacer Plates. Therefore where the Magnetic Mat extends over the edge of the White Spacer Plate I made quit an indentation in my Mat right at the edge where it extended over the Plate. So I trimmed my Magnetic Placement Mat using my Carl Cutter to be the exact same size as my Spacer Plate - problem solved.



In the following Compatibility Sandwiches the products listed below are referred to repeatedly - I thought I would link you to these items to help you gain a better understanding of what they are.

•Spellbinders™ Magnetic Placement Mat
•Spellbinders™ White Spacer plate
•Spellbinders™ Tan Emboss Mat
•Spellbinders™ Dies
•Spellbinders™ Dies also include the Nestabilities


Most directions below recommend that the Spellbinder™ dies be placed on your work surface blade side up. Be certain to check your machine sandwich before cutting to ensure correct usage.




All recipes are placed in stacking order starting at the bottom moving upwards. After cutting do not remove paper from die to emboss, proceed with paper remaining in die.



Cuttlebug™
This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders™ die. I can not guarantee that the B plates will not break in the Cuttlebug, but when testing my B plates were fine. They did make that ever present cracking noise though and therefore my hesitancy to say that they will never break being I have broken many B plates over the last few months. I do plan on testing the Spellbinders Thick White Mats and the Blue Mats included in the Wizard Charm Embossing Kits to see whether I can find an alternative to the acrylic plates. The white and blue mats provided by Spellbinders are so much sturdier.


How to Use a Spellbinders™ Die in the Cuttlebug™:
Cutting Sandwich
1. A plate

2. C plate
3. Spellbinders™ die, blade side up
4. Paper or cardstock

5. B plate

6. Roll through Cuttlebug™

Cutting Sandwich with Spellbinders™ Magnetic Placement Mat
1. A plate

2. B plate
3. Spellbinders™ White Spacer plate

4. Spellbinders™ Magnetic Placement Mat

5. Spellbinders™ die, blade side up
6. Paper or cardstock

7. B plate

8. Roll through Cuttlebug™


Embossing Sandwich
1. A plate

2. 2 sheets cardstock to act as shim. Add extra pieces if needed.

3. B plate
4. Spellbinders™ die, blade side up
5. Paper or cardstock

6. Spellbinders™ Tan Emboss Mat
7. B plate

7. Roll through Cuttlebug™
Embossing Sandwich with Spellbinders™ Magnetic Placement Mat
1. A plate

2. B plate
3. Spellbinders™ Magnetic Placement Mat

4. Spellbinders™ die, blade side up
5. Paper or cardstock

6. Spellbinders™ Tan Emboss Pad

7. B plate

8. Roll through Cuttlebug™

*Shim with extra pieces of cardstock if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment